LH 04: Growing Food in Small Spaces
Welcome to Episode #04 of the Living Homegrown Podcast!
So many followers of this website want to grow food but feel held back by their lack of garden space.
Well, fear not!
In this episode, I interview author Andrea Bellamy on easy ways to grow food when you have little to no garden space.
But her tips and suggestions apply to all of us who want to grow fresh, delicious food.
And wait until you hear about her rebellious wheat growing project!
In this episode, we discuss:
- Why you should consider growing food – even if you have NO space
- The secrets of beet greens, carrot tops & radish pods
- Deciding what to grow (plus a few of our favorites)
- That YES, you can grow food if you only have semi-shade
- Where to find free garden space – legally (even if you don’t own it)
- Guerrilla gardening (gardening illegally)
- Growing wheat when you have NO land
What I love about Andrea is that she has gumption. She also has a quick wit and the smarts to grow just about anything – anywhere.
I’ve been a fan of Andrea for years and am honored to share her wisdom with you in this podcast.
Resources & Links Mentioned:
- Small-Space Vegetable Gardens – Andrea Bellamy’s book
- Heavy Petal – Andrea’s blog
- Beet Greens Soup Recipe
- Guerrilla Gardening
- A Three Sisters Garden – Growing three types of plants in synergy with each other.
- Mild Mustard Greens – Mizuna is one of the mild mustard greens in this seed mix from Renee’s Seeds.
- Garden Babies Butterhead Lettuce – From Renee’s Seeds
- Sea of Red Lettuce – From Renee’s Seeds
Andrea’s Wheat Project:
- Part 3 (the harvest)
- Part 2 (update)
- Part 1 (planting)
- How to grow wheat – (A PDF)
- How to grow & make flour – (An article from Breadinfo.com)
- Video:How to grow wheat in an allotment (British style)
- Video on Chris Hergesheimer – The Flour Peddler by Lawns to Loaves. Has very low audio, but has great photos of the entire “wheat to flour” event Andrea spoke of in the podcast. You can see how they threshed and winnowed the wheat while Chris talks about his food beliefs.
NOTE: More wheat growing info to come! My family is currently embarking on our second wheat growing adventure which will be documented on the blog soon.
I bought an extra copy of Andrea’s book, Small-Space Vegetable Gardens
to give away. (The giveaway is closed)
It covers how to plan and build your garden, as well as growing and harvest info on an abundance of fresh fruits and veggies. (No wheat growing – that was just for the podcast.)
The tips and info apply to ALL gardeners. But it would also make a GREAT gift for a newbie homeowner or apartment dweller.
To enter to win, just leave a comment below and tell me something you are excited to grow this year. (It can be something new or a regular favorite.)
The giveaway is closed: The winner is Stacia!
Thank you for all of your great comments.
Here are the details:
- Only leave ONE comment per person
- Comment before midnight May 7, 2015. (PST)
- Any comments after that time will not be counted toward drawing.
- I will randomly pick a winner from the comments and send that person an email letting them know. (Be sure that your email is correct when you fill out the comment form)
- I will also post the winner to this page on May 8th.
- You must live in the United States or Canada to win. (Sorry)
- If I do not hear from the winner within 5 days, a new winner will be picked and announced.
About This Podcast Series:
Check out podcast Episode 00 to get:
- The whole scoop on what this podcast series is all about
- My background, experience & training
- What to expect going forward
It’s like an audio “about” page for the podcast.
Want YOUR Question Answered?
Do you have a question you’d like answered on a future podcast episode? Ask me over on my Ask Theresa Page – It’s easy!
Thank you so much for listening!
If you liked this episode, I would love for you to help me spread the word.
There are three easy ways you can do that (listed below).
- Share this episode via the social media buttons below.
- Rate & Review this podcast episode over on iTunes. Your input there really does matter in the ranking of this show. Plus, I will read every single one and would appreciate your input there.
- Subscribe to this podcast on iTunes so that you never miss an episode.
Click here for the full transcript for Episode #04
Leave a Comment…
The giveaway is closed, but you can still comment. We’d love to hear from you!
Enjoy this podcast?
Sign up for updates & receive my free Canning Resource Guide